Here’s what you’ll need:
- Empty egg carton
- Potting soil
- Flower seed packet(s)
- Plastic wrap or two gallon-sized plastic bag and twist ties
- A pen (optional)
Here’s what to do:
- Split and tear your egg carton where it bends to make two halves.
- Use cups to gently pour potting soil into the egg carton halves, filling each space about two-thirds full.
- Plant the flower seeds in the egg carton.
- If you have different kinds of seeds, separate and plant them in their own spaces so you can use your pen to label which seeds are growing where on the outside of the egg carton.
- Water your seeds really well — they’re thirsty!!
- Cover each egg carton with plastic wrap, or put each egg carton in a plastic bag and secure with a twist tie.
- Watch your seeds grow. Pretty cool, right?
While you’re planting, talk to kids about the different seeds, the types of flowers they’ll become and how flowers grow.
Thank you for the awesome idea, hazel and company! For more information and pictures, please click here.